Monday, July 21, 2008

The Eagle Has Landed

I just got back from my trip and I knew this was the first thing about which I wanted to write. It won't be long, I just thought a momentous occasion such as this warranted observation.

39 years ago, on July 20, 1969, a member of the species homo sapien named Neil Armstrong walked on the surface of Earth's moon. For two hours and 31 minutes, Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin traversed terrain upon which no human 40 years prior had ever dreamed of walking. With a single footstep, the phrase "to shoot for the moon" instantly became obsolete in describing the impossible.

This isn't a post about whether we should continue to advance space travel (I think we should), or about whether the moon landing actually happened (I will take on anyone who says it did not). No, the point of this post is to honor all the men and women involved in safely ferrying the 12 men who have set foot on Earth's only natural satellite there and back again.

So, from one science geek to a myriad other people smarter than I, thank you.

"HOUSTON, TRANQUILITY BASE HERE.THE EAGLE HAS LANDED."

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: